Ask Not For Whom the Bell Tolls
Ordo Dracul: Ranks
The formal titles used within the Ordo Dracul have three distinct components.
The first is the Title, which is a representation of how many Coils a Dragon claims to have. Note that a Dragon can lie, but doing so runs the risk of extreme (and possibly fatal) repercussions if caught, depending on the dominant Rite in the Academy.
An Ordo Dracul with no coils is known as a Slave, to indicate they are still bound by the shackles of the vampiric curse. Once a Dragon learns his first tier, however, he gains a title based on the number of tiers of coils he knows as follows:
Once a Dragon has eleven or more Coils, her title becomes and remains as Immortal.
The second is the Domain, which indicates which particular Coil the Dragon is most accomplished within. This is typically placed directly behind the Title. It is also permitted to place an adjective before the Domain, to indicate the second-strongest Coil that the Dragon possesses. This is the most commonly used Decoration, as well.
- … of the Curse: Coil of Banes is your highest Coil
- … of Terror: Coil of the Beast is your highest Coil
- … of Hunger: Coil of Blood is your highest Coil
- … of Pain: Coil of Flesh is your highest Coil
- … of Sleep: Coil of Slumber is your highest Coil
- … of the Void: Coil of the Soul is your highest Coil
- … of Equilibrium: All your Coils are of equal level
- Burning or Fiery: Coil of Banes is your second highest
- Wild or Untamed: Coil of the Beast is your second highest
- Sanguine or Bloody: Coil of Blood is your second highest
- Carnal or Vital: Coil of Flesh is your second highest
- Dreaming or Slumbering: Coil of Slumber is your second highest
- Rarefied or Elysian: Coil of the Soul is your second highest
If the top two coils are of equal level, then the Dragon generally chooses the one that best reflects their studies to be the ‘highest’ and the other is treated as the ‘second highest’ for the purposes of determining Domain.
The third and final component is the Decoration, which is added to the Title + Domain formula as the Dragon wishes, either to convey additional information about the Dragon and his accomplishments within the Ordo Dracul, or simply to appear more impressive to others.
Decorations are usually placed before the Title + Domain section.
- Dedicated: You have studied only one Coil.
- Invisible: You have studied four separate Coils.
- Aetherial: You have studied five separate Coils.
- Ephemeral: You have studied six separate Coils.
- Penultimate: You have studied the fourth tier of any specific Coil.
As an example, a Dragon who has Blood 4, Banes 3, Beast 1, Flesh 1, & Soul 1 could list his Title as Aetherial Visionary of Penultimate Hunger, which would tell any other Dragon that he has a total of 10 Coils, knows all four tiers of the Coil of Blood, and has at least one tier in five Coils.
Remember, technically speaking Beast 1 and Beast 2 are two tiers of the same coil. Invisible_/_Aetherial applies only if you have gained at least the first tier of sufficient coils.
- Esoteric: “I need immediate aide.”
- Forgotten or Withered: “I am lying or disguised.”
- Invincible: “Enemies are listening.”
- Questing or Tested: “I know rituals of another covenant.”
- Renewed or Remarkable: “I am favoured.” or “I am to be protected.”
- Sterling or Omnipotent: “We are in immediate danger.”
- Sublime or Transcendent or Dreadful: “I’m showing off for the audience.”
- Subtle: “Outsiders are listening.”
- Terrible: “I am here against my own will.”
- … of the Fourth Darkness: “My master wants you to destroy me.”
Who Outranks Whom
Hierarchy in the Ordo Dracul
There are three Sworn Orders within the Ordo Dracul. Those are the Sworn of the Axe (aka Crimson, warriors and protectors), the Sworn of the Dying Light (Azure, scholars and judges), and the Sworn of the Mysteries (Onyx, diplomats and politicians). The colours noted there are ceremonial colours, and some in each Sworn order may take offence should an Unsworn or Sworn of another Oath wear them at official OD functions. Because the Sworn have additional responsibilities placed on them, their authority expands further than the Unsworn.
When it comes to giving orders, if neither are Oathbound (or both are), the one with more more coils has greater rank and thus greater authority. However, any Oathbound outranks any Unsworn. But, if both are equal in Oath (or lack thereof) as well as Coils, the one with more Ordo Dracul status has more authority.
This has a few exceptions. In battle, deference goes to the Axe. In matters of research, to the Dying Light. In matters of policy, to the Mysteries. If it is unclear who has jurisdiction, it falls to the Dying Light to decide.
Sworn Ranks and Titles
With security being a major concern among Dragons, some members of the Order have devised certain unofficial titles and descriptors for the Oaths they belong to so that they may speak and type more freely.
These Titles are usually included in the Decoration section of the formal title.
Sworn of the Axe
- Tempered: “Oath Sworn”
- Stalwart: “Companion”
- Relentless: “Dragon Knight”
- Knowledgeable: “Vigilant Dragon”
- Judicious: “Warden”
- Brave or Courageous: “Commander”
- Brutal: “Rising Dragon”
- Fearless: “Rampant Dragon” or “Grandmaster”
Sworn of the Dying Light
- Honoured: “Oath Sworn”
- Shrouded: “Apprentice”
- Travelled: “Journeyman”
- Eloquent or Impertinent or Audacious: “Galliard” (based on style)
- Noble: “Master”
- Hallowed: “Twilight Judge”
- Impartial: “Provost”
Sworn of the Mysteries
- Learned: “Oath Sworn”
- Enlightened: “Seer”
- Blessed: “Oracle”
- Unearthly: “Navigator”
- Elusive: “Parliamentarian”
These Titles are usually listed separately from the formal Title.
- Bailiff of the Twilight Council
- Castellan: Similar to a “Master of Elysium” for an academy’s Chapter House
- Grand Wyrm: Ceremonial title for the Dragon who took her Oath to the Ordo Dracul earlier than anyone else in the academy.
- Inceptor or Primus Vitae [bloodline]: Is the creator and Progenitor of a Bloodline.
- Peerless Guardian: Kogaion
Decorations are usually placed before the Title + Domain section.
- Alchemical or Forgotten Venom: A dragon who has knowledge of Spoiling
- Balanced: All other tiers besides the primary are equal. Example: Banes 4, Beast 1, and Flesh 1 would be Master of the Balanced Curse.
- Confiding: A title given to Confessors, to demonstrate the trust placed in them by the covenant in exchange for their cessation of study of Coils.
- Delphian or Enigmatic or Equivocal or Recondite: A member of the Sworn of the Mysteries that holds a title unknown to those outside the oath
- Evolved or Focused or Refined or Rarefied: Is a member of a Bloodline
- Experimental: Has knowledge of an experimental or unconfirmed Tier/Coil. Generally placed in a title, although the experimental tier is not usually counted for determining rank.
- Inspired: Has developed a Devotion that utilizes one or more of the Coils.
- Phantasmal: A Dragon who has the ability to see and/or hear ghosts.
- Pre-Eminent: An Admired member of the Covenant (Status x5).
- Weaver: A rare title, granted to those who show the ability to link the minds of Dragons together.
- Commanding: Ventrue
- Cryptic: Mekhet
- Elegant: Daeva
- Haunting: Nosferatu
- Savage: Gangrel